Chondar
CHONDAR.jpg

(population: 97,000) thriving seaport and capitol city of the island realm of Rhaygos. This bustling city is the heart of all the eastern spice trade on the Vhan Myr, and is an incredibly wealthy city.

The large Chondar harbor is accessible only through a narrow inlet of land that serves as a giant breakwater, protecting the many ships in port. As befits one of the largest and most important seaports in the world of Oris; the docks of Chondar are among the busiest in the world. At any time, as many as 800 assorted merchant vessels from Al' Kethai, Ilsenene, Malvatis, Orel, Styr, the Seven Cities of Brass, and Yamada are moored in the bustling, tree-lined, and triangular shaped: Spice Harbor.

HISTORY


The great city of Chondar has a long history. In the year AR -1191, the city was founded as a colony of Old Xhola, an ancient Hakeen civilization which, at that time, controlled much of the Continent of Za'Har and had expanded west into the Vhan Myr in search of riches and trade. Later, after the fall of Old Xhola in AR -552, the city temporarily became the capitol of New Xhola. But this political union was short-lived.

After New Xhola collapsed, Chondar was established as capitol of the independent Sultanate of Rhaygos. This lasted until the city and its people were conquered by the Eloysian Empire in AR 358. For nearly 1,700 years, the city lived under foreign rule, in the form of Imperial Hamanid governors sent from Sanjakar. After the end of Eloysian rule in AR 2079, Chondar once became an independent city and has remained so ever since.