Cyrenica (Akros)
CYRENICA.jpg

(population: 42,000) Located on the southern coast of the Isle of Cynara, Cyrenica is Cyrendar's third largest city and the former capital of the Cynaran kingdom of Urland.


Unlike other Cyrendari cities, Cyrenica has a mixture of Iskari and Cynarans. Despite past hostilities, the population gets along well together and has lived in harmony for centuries.

This bustling seaport is a vital center of trade in northern Corwyn. Its sprawling harbor contains ships from neighboring ports such as Atharavon, Elsareth, Krylnath, Natharos, Pike's Ferry, Swanford, Tharnia, and Wyn Falas.

Today, Cyrenica is governed by Duke Algrim Pentathar, who rules from Castle Pentathar, located in the midst of the city's central district.

Local History


Back in the Third Age, The present-day city of Cyrenica was called "Akros," and was the capital of the thriving Cynaran kingdom of Urland. But, during the Forty Years War; Akros was conquered by Iskari colonists from Iskandar.

After the disastrous Battle of Swanford, Akros came under the stern rule of King Ilnavel Cyrenäe, who asserted his new ruler-ship by ordering the city re-named "Cyrenica."

Afterward, the city became part of the larger kingdom of Cyrendar. But the Cynaran natives of this city and the island on which it was located never forgot this defeat, and those same natives of would once again rise up to fight for independence in the Iskari Civil War.

When the Iskari Civil War broke out in the Fourth Age, The city of Cyrenica was ruled by Teraxas Strongfist, who along with the Dukes of Hennara and Varia, broke away from the Kingdom of Cyrendar in the year 1068/4. After the war's end, the ruling House of Strongfist was destroyed and the Duchy of Cynara was broken into three smaller duchies; Cynara, Deroshar, & Silverdeep. Duke Teraxas was himself captured and executed at the end of the war; whereas both his sons were slain in battle.