Sathay
SATHAY.jpg

(population: 25,000) large fortified city and seaport located in far western Eldara on the western shores of the Sea of Ralas. Sathay is many things; a major seaport, a mighty fortress, and a wealthy trading center. The city is an important stopping point on the famous Isthmus Road running both west to Kingsport and east to Castle Greyguard. Sathay also serves as a crucial Eldaran naval base to protect the western sea lanes from pirates from both Vilzar and Tar Vielca.

Sathay is also a world-famous seaport, serving hundreds of merchant vessels from the cities of: Alarë, Elsareth, Freeport, Kingsport, Natharos, Pike's Ferry, Sasserine, Shard, Tymor, and Wyn Falas.

The city of Sathay is currently governed by Duke BrĂ¼enor Erwald.

HISTORY


In ancient times during the Second Age, this city was named Magarai, and was part of the Tekritian League. The fortress-city of Magarai was later abandoned around the time of the fall of Shorafa, and was later re-populated and rebuilt into is present state by Thannish peoples of Eldara.

Destruction During the War of Tears


The City of Sathay suffered terribly in the War of Tears. In the year 1049/6, the Vilzari launched a surprise offensive against Eldara by both land and sea. The City was cut-off and besieged, and later fell to the Vilzari invaders. As many as half the population was slaughtered, and thousands more were carried onto Vilzari ships and sailed away to Vilzar as slaves. Over the next several decades, the city was re-built with stronger and higher walls, and a powerful military garrison. It also became a permanent base for the Eldaran Navy.